For all the teams, hope springs eternal, and everyone (well, almost everyone) thinks that this is the year for their team.
I was recently sent this photo of the last Cubs team to win the World Series back-to-back in 1907 and 1908. If you look closely, three of the names that stand out to baseball fans today are the famous double-play combination of Tinker to Evers to Chance.
I really didn’t know anything about these guys until today, when I found out that
- none of them were exceptional hitters
- none of them were home run hitters or big run producers
- their first names were Joe, Johnny and Frank
- Johnny was one of the smallest men to ever play in the major leagues
- Frank not only was the 1st baseman; he was also the manager
And most importantly, they were enshrined together as a unit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946.
On their own… just average.
As a unit… recognized as exceptional.
That’s a good synopsis of his life. On my own, nothing much to write home about. Working together with partners and the power of the Holy Spirit, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- thank your partners today
- invest in others. You’ll be stronger and more effective.
- be a “got your back” kind of person. Loyalty is a rare trait in today’s society, but it is really treasured.
Tinker to Evers to Chance… a combination and a legacy that has stood the test of time. May it be so for me with those I work closest with. And Go Cubbies… this is our year!